Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fabian Hemmert: The shape-shifting future of the mobile phone



I think the timing for Fabian's ideas are really good. I would love to have my phone be flat in my pocket, and thick enough to give me a really good grip when I hold it. Holding my iPad at the thin end of the wedge feels really dangerous. I'd much rather handle expensive fragile devices with thick wedged edges.

The weight shifting technique is really interesting, but definitely farther away. If you expand the device when it's in your hand, you have extra room to move stuff around. The battery is usually responsible for most of the weight, so if you could move that around you wouldn't have to add a dedicated weight.

But I would be worried about dropping a weight shifting shape changing device.

Maybe this would fit better in a TV game controller, where you have a better grip, and where you have more room inside.

Anyway, great work Fabian.

No comments: